To keep stone countertops clean, use a microfiber cloth to dust-off the surface. Clean with mild soap and water or a stone cleaner formulated with a neutral pH. Use a clean soft cloth for best results. Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners. Here are some other helpful tips for natural stone care:
- DO blot-up spills immediately. DON’T wipe the area, it will spread the spill.
- DO use coasters under glasses, particularly those containing alcohol or citric juices.
- DO clean surfaces with mild detergent and water.
- DO thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing.
- DO protect countertop surfaces with coasters, trivets, or place mats.
- DON’T use vinegar, lemon juice, or other cleaners containing acids.
- DON’T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers, scouring powders, or soft cleansers.
Have a discoloration on your stone countertop? Learn the difference between etching and staining and what to do in each case.