Want to know how to clean stone countertops? Our experts say to dust the surface with a microfiber cloth, wipe down with mild soap and water, or use a stone cleaner formulated with a neutral PH. Use a clean soft cloth for best results. Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners. Do not use cleaners that have “essential oils” (like Method) as they can darken counters over time.
Here are some other helpful tips for cleaning natural stone:
- DO blot up spills immediately. DON’T wipe the area, it will spread the spill.
- DO use coasters under glasses, particularly those containing alcohol or citric juices.
- DO clean surfaces with mild detergent and water.
- DO thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing.
- DO protect countertop surfaces with coasters, trivets, or place mats.
- DON’T use cleaners that have “essential oils” (like Method) as they can darken counters over time
- DON’T use vinegar, lemon juice, or other cleaners containing acids.
- DON’T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers, scouring powders, or soft cleansers.